Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cornbreads

I have several recipes for good cornbread so here they all are!

My grandmother's cornbread:
1.5 cups self-rising cornmeal
3/4 cups sweet milk
1 cup water
1 egg
grease

Mix cornmeal and milk. Add water and mix well. Add egg and blend well. Put 2-3 tablespoons of shortening in a 9 or 10-inch skillet. Let grease melt and get hot. Sprinkle cornmeal over hot grease and brown lightly. Pour cornbread mixture in skillet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until done.

Mexican cornbread:
3 cups self-rising cornmeal
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup oil
2.5 cups milk
3 eggs
1 can Mexicorn
3/4 cup grated cheese
1/2 c chopped bell pepper
2 pods hot pepper, chopped

Mix well and pour into prepared skillet and bake for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees.

Broccoli-Cheese Cornbread:
1 pkg Mexican cornbread mix (bought)
4 eggs
1 stick margarine
1 pkg frozen chopped broccoli
2 c grated cheddar cheese
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp onion powder

Melt margarine in skillet. Beat eggs. Add onion, cheese, broccoli and melted margarine. Stir in cornbread mix. Pour into a greased black skillet and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I am so glad my dad gave my my Memaw's (great grandma's) recipe for this... Gotta love cornbread. Unfortunately I don't make it too often because it's such a hassle to clean cast iron... Now I want some though lol