Sunday, February 15, 2009

Semi-Homemade Spaghetti sauce

It's a sad day in my house when I realize there's no garlic. That day was today. Having been raised by a Korean mother a love of garlic was instilled. I recently found out that apparently the average Korean consumes 22 lbs of garlic per year. I believe it! This would explain why my recipes always call for so much garlic. Always keep in mind you can cut back on the garlic. Tonight I'm making spaghetti. It's such an easy dish and we all love it. I am sad though, it'll be sans garlic this time around.

1 jar/can of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbs of olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic smashed and minced
1/2 cup diced bell pepper

In a saucepan heat the olive oil. When oil is heated throw in the mushrooms, garlic, and bell pepper and saute but do not allow them to get too soft (about 5 mins). Add the spaghetti sauce of your choice and allow to simmer for about 15 mins. Serve over pasta of your choice!

NOTE- Sometimes I add meat and sometimes I don't. I used to always use ground beef when cooking spaghetti. Now days I rarely use ground beef. Tonight I pulled a bag of frozen turkey meatballs from the freezer and they were the first to get dropped into the olive oil. Other times I'll slice up some chicken and saute it with garlic before adding the veggies. Whatever I have on hand really. It's just as yummy without meat though.

No comments: