Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Borderland Chicken

Have you ever had those days when you realize you're running low on groceries but you still have to figure something out for dinner? That was me yesterday. I realized the only meats I had were frozen and if I were going to make something it would have to be in the crockpot (I hate waiting for meat to defrost). So I threw a bunch of things together and came up with a very yummy and flavorful recipe.

6-8 boneless chicken thighs (I used frozen boneless and skinless)
2 sliced bell pepper (red or green or both)
1/2 med onion sliced
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cumin
1 tsp pepper flakes
1 packet of McCormick fajita seasoning
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1 can chicken broth

Mix wine, broth, and seasonings into the bottom of the crock pot. Add chicken pieces and flip so both sides are coated. Add onions and bell pepper. I cooked this on high for 4 hrs and it was on warm for another hour and it was perfect. The meat was tender but didn't fall to pieces. I did turn the pieces over half way into cooking. I served this over spanish rice and topped with extra juices to make it spicier for my husband and I.

NOTES-It wasn't too spicy for my 2 year old and she loved it. I didn't have any onions or bell peppers and made this without them but if I had them this is how my recipe would have went. And I'd probably add garlic if I had it...but I didn't add that into the recipe since the flavors were great even without garlic.

No comments: