Saturday, January 3, 2009

meatloaf

This is one of my favorite recipes from my Betty Crocker cookbook. Though I do twist it up just a little. If you want a good cookbook you should check this one out. It has a bit of everything! And the best part, it has an emergency substitution chart in the back...SCORE! I'm always forgetting some ingredient and it's nice to know I can look in the back of my book for a good subsitute. Anyway, I'm posting this recipe just for my good friend, Joyce. I hope you enjoy!! Y

1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef
1 cup milk
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dried sage leaves (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic finely chopped (or 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
1 large egg
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 small onion chopped
1 cup ketchup divided
1/2 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp mustard

Heat the oven to 350. Mix all the ingredients except 1/2 cup of ketchup and the last 2 ingredients listed. Spread mixture in an ungreased loaf pan (though I use my stoneware casserole dish). Mix the other 1/2 cup of ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard together then spread on top of the meatloaf. bake uncovered for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until juice is clear and a meat thermometer reads 160. Drain the meatloaf and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. I usually serve my meatloaf with mashed potatoes and a veggie.

Note: I've fed this to people who claim to hate meatloaf and they end up loving this. My family loves it...even my husband who swore he only likes his mama's meatloaf...of course that was before he had mine. ;)

3 comments:

Kris said...

I might have to try this... I absolutely hate meatloaf lol but its an easy meal and something else to use ground meat in...

Is there anything you could sub for katsup though? The stuff makes me ill when I smell it lol

Jammie said...

You could use tomato sauce and it'd turn out great. Also, the 1/2 cup ketchup/tomato sauce in the meatloaf is optional. I add it just b/c I like it but the original recipe doesn't call for it.

Kris said...

I can't believe I haven't commented again before this!

I've made this recipe several times now and love it... So another non meatloaf liking person recommends it!

I have made some adjustments... no sage (dont want to chance drying up lol), the tomato sauce instead of katsup like you recommended, and fresh bread crumbs since we never have dried... this last time I put 2 garlic cloves instead of 1. We'll see how that turns out. We love garlic here though lol.